Friday 3 August 2012

My First Winter Birthday


This week marks the end of the month of July and a good portion of my friends are heading back to their respective countries and starting their next semester at school.  Leila cooked a delicious supper club for a Monday night goodbye to everyone.  It was really sad since we all spent the last two months together. Milou heads back to Holland, Sara to New Jersey, Melinda to New York. Rebekah and I met up with some other friends from the DRC afterward to watch the Olympics and so she could say goodbye to them.  This was the first time I got to watch the Olympics since the opening ceremonies; swimming and beach volleyball were on (on separate TVs) which was really nice.  It is convenient because London is only a 1 hour time change backward from Cape Town. 

Tuesday was Jake (UK) and Rebekah (North Carolina)’s last night so we went out for a dinner and Olympics night again.  I loved the atmosphere watching the games because we are all pulling for different countries, which makes it that much more fun.  Back home it is always the USA and everyone around me wants the Americans to win but here the environment is incredible and diverse.  It was sad at first because only Judo wrestling was on, not my favorite, but then the swimming began.  For the 200 fly when the South African out touched Phelps for the win, the pub went insane.  Everyone was so happy and excited.  In 2008 South Africa won 1 silver medal during the Olympics.  This time they already have 3 gold.

PATA received an award Tuesday night as the charity pick of the year for the YPO in South Africa. We got a nice check and lots of recognition for our work.   Hopefully it leads to more funders so we can expand our current programs.

My birthday morning started with a nice surprise.  Leila baked me cupcakes, and she and Rebekah brought them down at 7 in the morning as I was getting ready for work.  They had a sparkler, and I got to blow out a candle.  Unfortunately after this I had to go into work and Rebekah had to go to the airport.  At the office, everyone was surprised when they found out I was only turning 22.  My boss couldn’t believe I had graduated from University at the age of 21.  We celebrated at work with a delicious banana and caramel tart. 

I came home and met my new roommate, Haley, from the UK.  8 of us went out to The Fat Cactus for Tex-Mex and margaritas.  When they found out it was my birthday we were all given cowboy hats to wear, with mine black and everyone else having a tan one.  I also got a free tequila shot with an orange instead of a lime.  I had a really good time, even though it was my first birthday where I saw no family whatsoever.  It was also my first birthday that occurred in the winter (since this is my first excursion into the southern hemisphere).

I finally watched Blood Diamond.  It was exciting to see the clips from Cape Town with Table Mountain in the background. It was also fun when I heard them use phrases that are popular here: “howzit” “lekkah” “ya, ya.” Most South Africans do not like the movie because the accents are wrong and do not sound like they are from Zimbabwe.

Unfortunately I still do not have a camera.  It got backordered at Best Buy, so mom doesn’t have it, meaning it is not even on its way here so hopefully I have one by mid-August, but the odds are not looking good.  Instead I will just put up this cute nephew picture because I miss them so much and they are freaking adorable.


No comments:

Post a Comment