Saturday 22 September 2012

Classic Wednesday

Other people's pictures from last week's high tea:




The local forum PATA held in Mwanza, Tanzania went very well.  The main focus was adolescent girls, with master classes covering other topics.  One of our clinics hosts the event, but most of the attending clinics are not even a part of our network.  We provide education to them anyway and hope that they learn a lot to contribute without us at PATA following up.  Several of the teams afterward apply to join the network in order to be more involved and have access to our resources.  PATA is unique as a NGO because we provide education from the experts directly to the frontline healthcare workers while most AIDS conferences are experts teaching experts.

Wednesday is official known as margarita Wednesday, especially for Shevaun, Liz, Lisa, Caroline, and I.  We have now spent two successful weeks in a row going out for margaritas and the best Mexican food Cape Town has to offer.  This week’s venue, on Long Street, featured the cheesy decorations, juggling, Shevaun eating a meal for two by herself, and six pitchers of lime margaritas (some frozen).  This is one tradition I look forward to each week, as it breaks up the workweek into two halves.  




Another protest occurred outside Parliament this morning.  This one was for anti-fracking legislation with signs such as “frack off” and “are you fracking kidding me?” From my apartment I could hear the speeches being given and the protesters rallying.  I am not sure how effective these are, especially since it is a Saturday and the members of Parliament are not in the office.

Plans have officially been made for my vacation, a vacation from Cape Town that is.  I will fly out Monday October 22 and return Monday November 5. I will be going to Pretoria and Kruger National Park in South Africa, Victoria Falls in Zimbabwe with a day trip to the Zambia side, and Chobe National Park in Botswana!  Most of the trip is a camping safari, so I will be in a tent in the wilderness of Africa!  Caroline is going with me for the whole trip, while Shevaun, Devan, and Liz are coming for Victoria Falls and Chobe. I am beyond excited for this adventure. It may be a month away, but months in Cape Town simply fly away.  


I couldn't resist including this photo.  Nathan I just want to hold you so much!


No comments:

Post a Comment