Monday 8 October 2012

Sea Kayaking

This weekend my baby sister turned 19!  She is so old.  I miss you, Beth!

Adding to the classic margarita Wednesday (which hit its fourth week!), we now participate in Diva Mondays.  Divas is an Italian restaurant just around the corner from our apartment complex. On Mondays groups of four or more get a free bottle of wine with their meal. It is the perfect start to the week, eating our Italian food and having a glass of wine. Their chocolate brownie for desert is delicious. Margarita Wednesday had over 15 participants this week, which made it very hectic when trying to pay the check since it comes as one giant bill that we have to sort out. We had failed to make a reservation at one of the new places we want to try, which means we ended up at Mexicana on Long Street. It is the only place we can just show up at and get seats since it won’t be crowded. Also the only movie in their collection is Nacho Libre, so we watched that multiple times once again.

I meet new people on a daily basis here in Cape Town. Without fail they ask me where I am from, I reply Nebraska, and they tell me I am the first person they have met from Nebraska. I am no longer amused by this. Afterward I hear about the time they went to New York or Miami when they visited the States.

Saturday we got up bright and early to take the train to Simon’s town.  This was my first train experience and it was not difficult at all.  We bought the first class tickets (metro-plus car) and settled in for the one hour ride to the end of the train line.  The view is pretty spectacular; at the beginning you can see Table Mountain and Devil’s Peak from all sides as we curve around the mountain ranges.  Then towards the end the train goes right on the coast of False Bay with views out into the Atlantic Ocean before we got off at Simon’s town.

After a quick walk, we met up with the sea kayaking guide who helped us set out into the water. I partnered with Caroline.  We paddled around the harbor and the military base to Boulder’s Beach. On our journey, seals were swimming next to us and splashing around.  They were probably my favorite part.  Then we kept paddling up to all of the African Penguins!  They were scattered about on the beach and would come swimming in the water past us.  There little heads would pop up for air all at the same time before going back under and continuing their swim.  





Kayaking back was much harder since the wind wasn't helping us.  As we turned around the harbor the waves were splashing, and it felt like we were barely even moving.  After the two hours at sea, we were starving and had lunch on the water before catching the return train home.  All eight of us fell asleep on the train ride and were exhausted after our day.  The sun finally came out nice and strong once we were back so I took advantage of our gorgeous rooftop view and pool area.

Sunday, we all went to Mzoli’s for lunch. I hadn't been there since June, but it was the same as before. We ordered our giant bucket of meat and enjoyed the loud music in Gugulethu. 

This morning on the bus to work, a weird thing happened. About half way to my stop, we had to get off the bus and get back on a different one.  Then our original bus just kept on driving; it wasn't broken or anything.  I am not at all sure why this was necessary, but I still made it to the office on time and nothing else came of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment